Three Doctors and An Exhausting Day
Today (Monday) was another day for back-to-back doctors appointments. Two of the three doctors were naturopathic doctors, which means they work more with vitamins and natural supplements rather than modern drugs. Marce and I both believe strongly that "we are what we eat", and so obtained two recommended naturopathic doctors. They are both respected by the medical doctors and develop an "integrated plan" that works with the surgery and possible radiation and chemotherapy Marce will be undergoing. After visiting both doctors, it was clear to both of us that we felt most comfortable with Dr. Daniel Labriola at Northwest Natural Health. What we appreciated about him is that he works in an integrated fashion with our Swedish doctors, and in fact actually has an office at Swedish Medical Center. He had some great recommendations and insight, and best of all even started his career as a Boeing engineer!
At 3PM we met with Dr. Hanson at Swedish Medical Center, who we have decided will be Marce's surgeon. He comes with a reputation of being one of the best, if not THE best, breast cancer surgeons in Seattle. This was a good but difficult appointment, perhaps the most difficult we have had so far. It was good in that we both came away with a high degree of confidence in his knowledge and ability. However it was difficult because we literally spent hours learning about the risks and options before us. There is no easy road ahead of us. Dr. Hanson reviewed our mammogram and MRI films with us, explaining in intricate detail the nuances we would never have understood. In the end, we both came away confirmed that the risk is too high to attempt a lumpectomy (i.e. partial removal), and that a left mastectomy (complete removal) is best for Marce. The good news from this is that it is unlikely she will require radiation, which is used in a lumpectomy scenario to kill any local residual cancer. However, the thing that Marce really struggles with is chemo and hormonal therapy, both of which have significant side effects. Both are used if the cancer is suspected to have left the breast and be somewhere else in the body. While Dr. Kaplan is most knowledgeable in this area, Dr. Hanson believes that, based on imagery, chemo/hormonal therapy may offer significant risk reduction. This will depend on the same two factors (in order) which will have to wait until surgery:
1- Whether the lymph nodes have been "contaminated" (which he believes is unlikely), and
2- The size of the largest tumor
Both Marce and I left the appointment exhausted, tired, and with headaches. It wasn't anything new, but I guess the fact that we have now decided on mastectomy is making it more real.
We will confirm tomorrow, but the tentative plan is for surgery next Tuesday the 22nd. Marce's mother will travel here and stay for a week or more. Marce will stay at least one night in the hospital, and will need to lay low for around 3 weeks. With the help of Marce's mom, my Seattle based family, and friends we hope to quickly get through this.
We would appreciate prayer for the following:
1- The cancer has not spread to the lymph system and she has two smaller lumps (rather than one large one),
2- For peace of mind, especially for Marce and
3- For continued wisdom that we will make the right decisions.
Thank you!
Marc
Interesting Fact: More than 1.7 million women who have had breast cancer are still alive in the United States.